The Reading Life 2010 Year End Review-The Rest of the Story
So far I have posted on my non-fiction reads for 2010, my short stories, and my Japanese literature project. In this post I will cover the best of the rest of my reading year. I will say it was a great reading years for me with lots of new discoveries. I will list my favorite reads of the year in order read with a short comment on each one.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-been on my TBR list a long time-very good book
- Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys-I totally loved this book-more than most people do
- The Journal of a Tour to The Hebrides by James Boswell-a book to get you ready to read the best biography ever written-also very much a fun read
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte-high canon status work-on my life time reading plan
- Indiana by George Sand-a good first Sand
- Pierre Et Jean by Guy De Maupassant -a wonderful book
- Villette by Charlotte Bronte-parts of it are better than Jane Eyre
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy-a beautiful mysterious book
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte -high canon status classic-on my life time plan
- Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford-a four part work centering on England in WWII-a great work of art-I am so glad I read this
- Nana by Emile Zola-glad to read some Zola-been a while-I guess all of Zola can be considered canon status if you let your canon get big!
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson-a wonderfully written work
- The Big Four Virginia Woolf Works-Orlando, The Waves, To the Lighthouse, and Mrs Dalloway-all near the top of the 20th century canon
- The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendahl-canon work-
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier-ok let this sneak in!!
- The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett-a fun read
- 84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff-readers will like this
- Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov-very original work-will be a classic for sure one day-some say it is already
- Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie-considered the best of the Booker award novels
- The Red and the Black by Stendhal-very high status classic-on my life time plan
- Cousin Henry by Anthony Trollope-just a really enjoyable read-a classic-also a short Trollope-would be very good first of his works
If you have read any of these works please leave a comment-
I will do also a post on my year in blogging-and a post on my reading and blogging plans and hopes for 2011.