Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction and Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel and post Colonial Asian Fiction are some of my Literary Interests





Thursday, May 23, 2013

"Across The Rooftops" by Kevin Barry (2012, from Dark Lies the Island)

I am very happy to have recently acquired a copy of Kevin Barry's latest collection of short stories, Dark Lies The Island.   In the 80 Q and A sessions I recently did with Irish writers I asked everyone who their favorite short story writers were and a lot of people mentioned Kevin Barry (1969, Limerick)  as among the most talented contemporary with authors.   There are 13 stories in the collection and I have already posted on two of them.  The collection is under 200 pages.  I will shortly read all of them and post on some, briefly.

"Across the Rooftops" centers in the thoughts of a young man who sometimes sits on a rooftop with a young woman he likes.  He has been mulling over for a long time how he should make his first move.  Barry does an excellent job with his mental vacillations. The last few lines of this story are masterful.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the collection.

No comments: