Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, July 4, 2013

Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (2008, 576 pages)

Reading Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (Bombay, 1947) was a very challenging experience for me.It is so rich in imagery and has so many complex layers of meaning as to be almost overwhelming. It is a very powerful post colonial work.   The real glory in the work is in the amazing power of the language and the imaginative power of the text.   I saw the footprints of Joyce and Pynchon all over this book.  Much of the book is about the relationship of England to India.   This is my third Rushdie novel.  I have previously read his The Empress of Florence and Midnight's Children.  

If Rushdie never wins the Nobel Prize, it will because of the power of the petro-dollar.  

I think the best approach to Rushdie is to just read his works, let his powerful intoxicating prose roll over you and leave trying to figure it out to a second read.   Satanic Verses is a very high level work of art, if you can focus on it in the way I suggest a great pleasure to read.

 
Mel u

4 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

"Amazing power of the language and the imaginative power of the text." — Mel, you couldn't have described Rushdie's writing any better. I haven't read "Satanic Verses" as it has been banned in India but I have read "Midnight's Children" and absolutely loved it, mainly due to Rushdie's terrific grasp of language. I thought it was poetic. He deserved the Booker of Bookers some years ago.

Rosaria Williams said...

Rushdie is a master!

Mel u said...

Parshant-are you also blocked from downloading an e-book? thanks so much for your comments and visits

Rosaria Williams-for sure!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Mel, I never thought of downloading it as an ebook. I'll check that option, now that I also have an e-reader.