Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Ambassadors by Henry James (1903)


Henry James (1843 to 1916) is the most prolific of major American novelists.  Since I began my blog I have posted on several of his novels and short stories.  James considered The Ambassadors his finest work.   

I have had The Ambassadors on my To Be Read list for several decades now, just like another American classic I read earlier this month, The Scarlett Letter.  The advance press on the book was that it was very difficult.  My reaction was simply to slow down my reading speed and it was quite manageable. Some of the sentences are long with numerous subordinate clauses but nothing one cannot follow.

The basic plot involves a fifty five year old American widower being charged by his fiancé with the task of investigating how an extensive stay in Paris has impacted her son, Chad.  The more I read on in this wonderful book, the less I could think of another book I would rather be reading.  James can create great excitement and suspense out of seemingly ordinary events.  The descriptions of Paris are just flat out wonderful.  

There are multifarious ways one could approach this novel.  I see it as a study in contrasts.  America versus Europe, a dominant theme in several of his works, men versus women, youth and age, etc.  The central character, Lambert Strether, is a cipher.  He holds nothing back but remains a mystery.  

If there is a message in this master work, it is seize life, live as fully as you can.  

I would personally suggest starting on James with Washington Square and then The Aspern Papers.

James is not at all an impossible to read author, just slow down a bit.

O

6 comments:

Fred said...

mel u,

Good advice. And, I would recommend his shorter works as being very readable and also beginning with his earlier novels. I would not attempt reading Wings of a Dove or The Golden Bowl as starters.

ds said...

Mel, that is the perfect way to approach Henry James. I rank The Ambassadors among my favorite novels. Lambert Strether is such a pure innocent, it is comical to the point of embarrassment to watch him struggle to understand the jaded European worldview (as James presents it, anyhow).I feel for him (Strether) even now...

scott g.f.bailey said...

The Ambassadors might be my favorite James novel. The slow revelation that Strether is completely out of his depth and misunderstands almost everything about his own social place is beautifully unfolded. There is also some of James' most beautiful writing (the scene where Strether goes out into the countryside alone is gorgeous stuff).

As well as Washington Square and The Aspern Papers, people should seek out the novella The Coxon Fund, which is a comedy about a sort of itinerant mooching Transcendentalist philosopher who's all wind and no sail, as it were. Sometime this year I'm going to read The Awkward Age, about which I know absolutely nothing but there's a nice edition of it on my nightstand, waiting for me.

Anonymous said...

I've recently come to love Henry James. I think your advice about slowing down is good. Probably good for most pre-20th century literature. James is certainly worth the effort.

I'll have a review of one of his short stories up on Monday, John Delavoy, which I did not like, alas.

BTW, I'm at a new site now, JamesReadsBooks.com. Something happened to Ready When You Are, C.B. and blogger stopped sending my posts out into the world so I've had to close up shop there. It's been fun starting over, though.

Richard said...

I'm glad you got a chance to read this, Mel. I read it last year and would have to say that it was one of my 2-3 favorites for the year (maybe even my favorite). The "slow revelation" that Scott mentions is right on target; however, I had the same sensation that you had while reading it--that of having a hard time imagining "another book I would rather be reading." Great stuff.

Mel u said...

Fred-thanks for the comment as always. I am pondering my next large scale James work.

ds- yes Lambert is a mystery . This is a great novel.

Scott F. Bailey- the book is a wonder. It cries out for a 2015 retread. I would like to try two more late novels this year.

James-I signed uo to follow your new blog by E mail. Looks good.

Richard- thanks for your comment and visit. By the time I was half way through I thought this is a supreme work of art