Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1812)





Pride and Prejudice (1812) by Jane Austen is one of the most popular novels ever written.  It is on every list of best 100 novels of all time.  I last read it about forty years ago.  I am not sure what motivated me to read it again now.  Maybe I was a desire to have the greatest writers in the world represented on The Reading Life.  

I will just keep my post short.  The plot line focuses on Elizabeth Bennet, one of five daughters of Mr and Mrs Bennet.  All are of marriageable age without when we meet them suitors.  The Bennet's family income is derived from his property but they have a big legal problem.  The estate is entailed, meaning it can be inherited only by a male descendent.  As of now a distant male cousin is inline to inherit the estate, he can turn everyone out if he wishes.  So the plot turns around a search for a husband rich enough to provide for the family for at least one of the girls.  

I throughly enjoyed rereading Pride and Prejudice.  I like the ironic tone of Austen, her subtle observations and her acute character developments.

I have begun rereading Emma, I work I read about ten years ago.  I decided to read it next as there is an entire chapter in The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne Booth devoted to the narrative method in Emma and I will reread this chapter after completing Emma.


Mel u

3 comments:

Suko said...

Mel, I'm gald you reread this beloved classic. There are some good movie versions, too. My favorite features Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet.

Lisbeth said...

My favourite Austen! It is great.

Buried In Print said...

Do you feel like different parts of the story were more interesting to you this time around, or can you remember many impressions from your first reading for comparison purposes? I love the experience of rereading, the layers that can come out, about the book as story and about the reader too!