Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Reading Life Review - March, 2018


I offer my great thanks to Max u for Amazon Gift Cards







March 2018 Authors 




In March I posted upon the work of eight women and eleven men, the dead and the living are even at nine to nine.  Seven authors were featured for the first time, among twelve  are having at least their second appearance.  

Countries 

  1. Ireland 6
  2. U.S.A 2, both World Class historians 
  3. UK 2
  4. Ukraine 1
  5. Germany 1
  6. Romania 1
  7. Spain 1
  8. Egypt 1)
  9. Sri Lanka 1
  10. Chile 1
  11. Belarus 2
  12. Poland 1

Four writers wrote in Yiddish, three of the four moved to New York City, one was executed in Russia, charged with subversive propaganda.

Row 1, Left to Right

  1. Amathi Harris, Sri Lanka, Award Winning Short Story Writer
  2. Maeve Brennan, Ireland, I Love her work
  3. Kadya Molodowski, Belarus, moved to NYC 1935
  4. Samuel Kassan, U.S.A, Holocaust Historian

Row 2

  1. Timothy Snyder, U.S.A, distinquished historian, Holocaust expert
  2. David Bergleson, Ukraine, Yiddish Modernist
  3. Riham Adlay, Egypt, Multi-awarded Short Story Writer
  4. Bram Stoker, Ireland, Dracula
  5. Jennifer Teege, Germany, Holocaust writer

Row 3

  1. Eva Mozes Kos, Romania, moved to U.S.A, Holocaust Memoralist, 
  2. Sholem Kasch, Poland, Yiddish writer, moved to U.S.A
  3. Brian Kirk, Ireland, poet, novelist, Short Story Writer, frequently featured on The Reading Life
  4. Roberto Bolano, 2666, Nazi Literature in The Americas
  5. Maria Anglada, Spain, The Violin of Auschwitz 

Row 4

  1. Niall Ferguson, UK, highly regarded historian 
  2. James Joyce, Ireland
  3. Joseph Sheridan La Fanu, Ireland, ghost and supernstural works
  4. Rose MacAuley, UK, highly prolific Multi-genre writer
  5. Stephen Wade, Ireland, multi-Awarded author, frequently featured on The Reading Life

I also posted on Mariam Rankin, born in the Belarus , moved to NYC.  Almost all The Jews in Belarus died in The Holocaust.  I Could find no image of her.

Blog Stats

As of now there has been 5,153,288 page Views 

There are currently 3302 posts

The top visitor home countries are The U.S.A, The Philippines. India. UK, Canada, Spain, Germany, The Ukraine and France 

Irish Short Story Month

I focused on Irish Short Stories in March, as I have done for eight years, I Will continue this in April, mixing classic and contemporary writers.  Irish literature is one of my core interests, with over 600 posts 

Autodidactic Corner.

I added three works on 20th century European History, if you read just one let it be Niall Ferguson’s book on The Rothchilds.

Future Plans

I Will post on hopefully ten Irish Short Stories.  I Will continue reading Yiddish fiction. Also Holocaust related works Will be featured.  

“Yiddish has not yet said its last word. It contains treasures that have not been revealed to the eyes of the world. It was the tongue of martyrs and saints, of dreamers and Cabalists - rich in humor and in memories that mankind may never forget. In a figurative way, Yiddish is the wise and humble language of us all, the idiom of frightened and hopeful Humanity.”  - Isaac Singer 

I’m always looking for new to me writers.  

I changed my side bar a bit and added a few quotes I like.  


I offer my great thanks to those who leave comments, you help keep me going. 


To the greatest readers in the world, my fellow book bloggers, keep blogging.  

Mel u














1 comment:

Buried In Print said...

What a lot of Irish-related posts you have: no wonder March has been such a busy reading month for you, for so many years now!

I like the new quotes very much. And it's sad that you could not find an image for one author, but that makes it seem all the more important that you have posted on her work!