This year I read 14 novels by writers from Japan. This year I will continue my practice of placing my Japanese novels on their own list. This is a non-literary decision.
In order read, here are the Japanese novels I read in 2011.
- Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima-a wonderful work-part two of a Tetrology
- J by Kenzaburo Oe-a strange work
- A Cat, a Man, and Two Women by Junichiro Tanizaki-great cat book from a cat lover and one of my favorite authors.
- 17 by Kenzaburo Oe-not what most would expect but a fun read
- Tatto Chan-The Little Girl in the Window by Tetsuko Kuro-a light weight book-easy read but don't buy it-school days in Tokyo in WWII
- The Pinch Runner Memorandum by Kenzaburo Oe-yes I like Oe
- Koroko by Natsume Soseki-a class must read work
- An Echo of Heaven by Kenzaburo Oe-really interesting book
- Villain by Shuichi Yoshida-OK crime novel but you can do better-don't buy
- Botchan by Natsume Soseki-must reading-school life and teaching
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami-my most disappointing read of at least this year-opinions differ on this-if you are seriously into the Japanese novel I guess you will at some point one to read this work. If you plan to buy it wait a few months for the remainder sales.
- Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto -I like her a lot
- The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto-her latest-an enjoyable read
- School Girl by Osamu Dazai-worth reading
- Ark Sukura-another strange book by Kobe Abe-real neat book
I will continue reading Japanese literature the rest of my life.