Here are some of the Novels I most want to read in 2012. They are in pretty much random order. This list leaves out my Japanese TBR items.
- The Guide by R. K. Narayan-considered by all to be his masterwork-really looking forward to this
- The Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand-considered his best work-
- The Wings of the Dove by Henry James-read in February for the Feb. in Venice Event
- Bleak House by Charles Dickens-in honor of Dickens 200th Birthday-try to read by Feb 7
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens-as above
- Hard Times by Charles Dickens
- Cousin Bette-Need to read some of the best regarded Balzac novels
- More Zola
- Vanity Fair –been on my TBR list for decades
- Anna Karenina in the P and E translation
- something by George Elliot, Willa Cather, and Louisa May Alcott-Probably Little Women
- Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
- Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
- more Turgenev at least Father and Sons
- reread A Sentimental Education and read Salammbo
- Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes in the Grossman translation
- more novels by Elizabeth Bowen, finish up Virginia Woolf, and Henry Greene.
- maybe reread the big FMF novels.
- Savage Detectives by Roberto Balano-a reread-for a read along
- maybe a read along of Clarrisa-this is set as a year long real time event-will ponder it-read it ten years ago
- A Shakespeare work a month
Short Stories List for 2012
I expect short stories to be an ever increasing part of my reading and blogging life. Here are some of my reading hopes for 2012.
- The Complete Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant-sounds like a lot at first but under 2000 pages-
- Finish the stories of Flannery O’Connor-1/2 way done now
- read the collected stories of Issac Babel
- Read a lot more Irish short stories-at least 70 by Frank O’Connor-most stories not very long
- Read a lot more Chekhov-maybe will try for all but at least the P and E collection
- read a lot more Turgenev
- try more Raymond Carver-try to over come my prejudice against stories about drinkers-he is for sure brilliant
- more Hemingway-maybe all the short stories if I can
- more Eudora Welty and Katherine Porter
- discover lots of new to me writers
These goals are just sort of list to motivate myself. I am sure and I hope I will be taken down new lanes and reading highways in 2012 just like I have been since I began my blog in July 2009.