Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Monday, August 10, 2009

Reflections on my first month as a book blogger-Sunday Salon


I began my blog, The Reading Life on July 7, 2009.

 About a year ago I began to follow an ever increasing number of book blogs. I have been a near compulsive reader since I was about seven. For many years I read mostly classics along with biographies, history, poetry with a special interest in the 18th Century. I wanted to start my own book blog but I wanted to find a focus for it. A few months ago I read a book I really loved, "The Elegance of the Hedgehog", by Muriel Barberry. One of the blogs I admire Incurable Logophilia by Verbivores had an excellent review of the book. I was moved to write a couple of long comments on its treatment of the life of the very reading centered characters in the book. I then had the idea for a blog focused around the literary portrayal of the reading centered life. From my blogs, with the aid of Amazon reviews, I began to find 21th century writers I loved.


I soon learned a book blog can sort of take on a life of its own. I am beginning to focus on 21th century treatments of the reading life . I have joined a number of book challenges to expand my reading range. Since starting the blog I have already found four new to me writers I really love: A S Byatt, Muriel Barberry, Penelope Fitzgerald and Markus Zusak. Most of their books deal very centrally with
the reading life. I will read all of their novels. I have found thanks to other bloggers first novelists I like and whose work I will follow. I still read the classics. I am embarked on somes long term reading projects now, all the novels of Henry James and Edith Wharton. I have gotten good reading ideas from visitors to my blog.

I love being a book blogger and will I hope be one the rest of my life. I am very thankful to all who have stopped by my blog.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

16 comments:

Suko said...

I didn't realize this blog has only existed for a month. I will nominate this book blog for a BBAW award. Good luck!

JoAnn said...

I didn't know this was such a new blog, either. I love Wharton and James, and have several of the other authors you mentioned on my tbr list.

Mel u said...

Maybe a year from now I will try to host a reading Challenge-maybe a combined Wharton/James Challenge or combined Penelope Fitzgerald and A S Byatt Challenge.

thanks as always for the comments

Anonymous said...

Wow, 1 month?!? Crazy. Happy blogging!

Unknown said...

I had a similar self-reflection after achieving Book 50, the original aim of my blog. Nothing like introspection to liven up a post :)

Christine said...

Whew, another newbie on the block. My blog is also about a month old. Great job and kudos to challenging yourself. Please stop by my blog if you like http://booktumbling.wordpress.com/

Jessica said...

Congrats on a month of book-blogging. I like your focus and enjoy reading your reviews. Here's to the next month!

Gavin said...

Congratulations on your first month! Isn't this an amazing community?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Congrats on your first month. As you progress you will find your blog morphing and changing as you grow both as a reader and a writer. Most likely you'll go through the ups and downs that come with truly realizing that it doesn't matter who is reading, or if anyone is, and that you are doing this for yourself more than anything else. And the readers will come, and some will go, but you'll develop your own following as your own unique voice develops. It really is a fascinating and ultimately rewarding process as long as you keep it in perspective and just remember to have fun with it. Being part of the book blogging community is immensely satisfying. So glad you are a part of it.

verbivore said...

Congratulations on your one-month blogiversary! I am very glad that blogging is working for you and I think you've settled on a great theme. Book lovers are very interested in the reading life and how it can be integrated into our "other" lives. I look forward to reading you into the future!

Suzanne Yester said...

Congratulations on your one month anniversary!! I'm a relatively new blogger myself and am amazed at the people I have met thru writing my blog. We all share something- the love of reading! And the community is very welcoming and in no time you will see new "faces" reading and participating in your blog. But yes, as Carl said above, ultimately you are writing your blog for yourself and with that in mind you will enjoy doing it as the flow of readers comes and goes.

Nice to meet you! Thanks for joining in on my blog! I look forward to chatting with you about all the books we're reading!

Take care,
Suzanne
(Chick with Books)

Lisa said...

Hey Mel! Congrats on your blog! I too am impressed that your blog is so new! I am new to the game myself as well, only been at it for one week!

Can't wait to read more posts! :)

Table Talk said...

Checking my friends' blogs is my first job of the mornig. I've never actually met any of these blogging friends but that doesn't make them any the less important. You're on the list.

Rachel (Book Snob) said...

I'm fairly new to book blogging too and I am really enjoying it. It's a great way for me to keep a record of what I'm reading, and if other people comment, then that's great, but I don't get too disappointed if they don't. I have been surprised though that after just a few weeks of blogging I have already gathered a small following. It's so exciting to feel part of a community, isn't it?

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'll be keeping an eye on yours from now on!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

It sounds like you've really enjoyed your first month of blogging, and that you're finding a focus that you enjoy.

Have fun with it; and remember that people don't always comments when they visit, so you may have more readers than you imagine :)

Patrick said...

Hi Mel! I'm also new to book blogging and I think your blog's concept is really interesting. Will add you also on my blogroll. ^_^