Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Dewey:The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World" by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter






Books can be the building blocks of bonds of family and community. We book bloggers know this for sure.
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by a 25 year library professional Vicki Myron tells us a lot about how libraries can create communities.

My family and I have all been cat lovers from way back. My brother was just with my family for a visit and he bought and read straight through-unusual for him-while he was here Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, a N Y times best seller from 2008. The story begins with an act of cruelty when a small cat is left in the middle of an Iowa winter in a book drop outside the Spencer Iowa library. Dewey ends up being adopted as the library cat and spends nineteen years bringing joy to the patrons of the library and has a very special relationship with the library director and her daughter. He achieves world fame being on the cover of cat magazines, on local and nationwide American news shows and is even featured in a Japanese documentary.

Vicki Merton is a true cat lover and any body who loves cats will relate at once to her story about Dewey. The book also deals with her personal and professional issues and tells us a lot about life in a small town library. I live in a city of millions with few real public libraries. This does not affect me so much but I know it prevents many people from becoming life time readers.

Books can also lead us to a shared laugh. My family shares our home with two cats. Charles is an eighteen year old Siamese and very royal in his bearings and attitude. About a year ago one of my daughters found a very small kitten in our parking lot and now Karlie is also in residence. My wife laughed when I showed her this quote "Dewey only eats Fancy Feast" as both Charles and Karlie, who was rescued from a life of eating out of the garbage, only eat Fancy Feast and Science Diet now.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World is a fun heart warming book that I think most cat lovers will enjoy. It also has something to tell us about The Reading Life.



Mel u
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

19 comments:

Suko said...

Great review, Mel, and perfect for the theme of your blog! I reviewed this touching book on my blog a few months ago.

(P.S. I am reading The Book Thief now. : )

Mel u said...

Suko, Thanks for the comment-I urge any one on the fence about reading this book to look at Suko's very perceptive review.

Anonymous said...

As "the one who gives us what we want" to 2 sisters (who only eat Fancy Feast) I am happy to see a review on this one. I have been wondering! Thanks

SusieCat said...

Diane Rehm had an interview with the author on a show in November 2008. You can listen to it here (it's about an hour long). http://wamu.org/programs/dr/08/11/17.php#22474

Mel u said...

Suko-as always your review was very good

Booktumbling-it seems once cats get a taste of Fancy Feast they dont want anything else

Susiecat-thanks for the link-I will check it out

Jeane said...

I've been wanting to read this book. I love cats (have two of my own) and libraries, so I think it would be just perfect. Thanks for the review!

Mel u said...

Suko-I will be very interested in your thoughts on "The Book Thief"

Jeane-if you love cats and libraries I am pretty sure you will love "Dewey"

Anonymous said...

Thank you for frequenting my site. I envy you for having time reading great books. With my schedule at work, the books I'm sinking myself into are mostly medical and nursing review books. As I've emailed you, I really appreciate your comments. I'll include your site to my links for easy follow.

Jessica said...

Wow! You have so many comments already.
Great review! I have heard good things about this one but I haven't had a chance to pick it up. I guess it's not on my priority reading list (there are just so many books!). But now, I think I'll change that.

Mel u said...

Docgelo-thanks for stopping by-I always check your web page for info on cultural events and foodie news in QC

Jessica-I read there was a 7 figure movie deal offer for "Dewey" with Meryl Streep to play the lead-this an easy fast reading book that is hard not to like -for sure if you are a cat lover

Suko said...

Thanks for your kind words, Mel.

Anonymous said...

Your review has pushed me over the edge. I heard recently of this book from a reluctant reader who was going to finish the book nonetheless. So I figured it must have something to it. And now your comments - I need to get in on this "writing-about-cats-dogs" thing that has become so popular. As long as it doesn't make me cry!!!

Susan said...

I am so pleased you left a comment on my blog, Mel! I love your header, absolutely love it, and I've been reading through a couple of your posts, and I really enjoy your style. I'm adding you to my blogroll! It's incredible how much fun blogging is, and the fabulous people you meet.

I haven't read this book yet, and I really have to find a copy. We're cat lovers too at our house, ruled over by a 14 year old cat who won't allow any other animals in. She only eats Friskies salmon or chicken! And also the real food, of course!

Mel u said...

Westcobich-I cannot promise the book will not make you cry-when I told my wife the author of Dewey had been paid over a million dollars for the rights to her book she said "quit working on your blog and write a story about our cats"

Susan-yes blogging is so much fun-I have been at it for only six weeks now and have met great people and learned a lot-I think any cat lover will like the book-

Nikola said...

This sounds like a precious read! Thank you for sharing it!

Mel u said...

Nikola- thanks for the comment!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I just came across your blog; it's great. I enjoyed DEWEY (cat lover that I am) LOL

Mel u said...

Diane-very glad you visited my blog and hope you will be back

Becca said...

I still haven't read this but I know I will like it when I do. Thanks for the review!