Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 2009 Reading Review


December 2009 was an excellent reading month for me.    I hope your month was great also.


Classics
  1. Roderick Hudson by Henry James -early James-I have as a personal perpetual challenge to read all the fiction of Henry James and Edith Wharton
  2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin-a reread from 40 years ago
 Japanese Novels
  1.  Nip  The Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe 
  2. Rouse Up O Young Men of the New Age by Kenzaburo Oe
  3. The Old Capital by Yasunari Kawabata -reread
  4. Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami
Oe  and Kawabata are both Nobel Laureates .  Some think Murakami will one day be the 3rd Japanese writer to win the Nobel Prize.    Maybe in ten years but not sooner is my guess.


English Language Novels

  1. Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood-I liked it but I liked The Handmaiden's Tale more
  2. The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford-see my post please as I cannot really compress my thoughts on this novel into one line.
  3. February Flowers by Fan Wu-coming of age story set in modern China-a good read for the 2010 GLBT reading challenge
Biography

  1. The Man Who Killed Rasputin:  Felix Youssoupov and the Murder that Helped Bring Down The Russian Empire  by Greg King-also a good choice for the 2010 GLBT Challenge-interesting popular history for Romanov devotees like me.  


Mel u

2 comments:

Astrid (Mrs.B) said...

I remember liking the Cat's Eye when I read it years ago. I plan to reread it in 2010. I just posted my best of the year and I remember I think we had 3 books in common.

Suko said...

Cute button, Mel! Although that cat looks rather relaxed. :)

Happy New Year!