Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TBR (To Be Read) 2010 Challenge


Mizb's Reading Challenges is hosting the 2010 TBR Challenge (To Be Read).   Basically this involves reading 12 books that you have wanted to read for a long time.   This seems a perfect way to motivate one to do what you want to do anyway.   The rules are on the challenge link.



Ok simple enough.   My only hesitation at first in joining this challenge as it is very much like Bibliophile by the Sea's Read Before I Die 2010 Challenge which asks you to pick 10 at least books that you have wanted to read for a while with the same rule that you cannot change your list.  (This is reasonable as one could  claim they completed the challenge just by naming the first books they read  for the year as their picks).  Some readers like to be very spontaneous in what they read and others like to plan long in advance.  I am somewhere in the middle.  Both of these challenges allow overlap so I at first thought  "OK just add two books to the ten you picked for the Read Before I Die Challenge and this is done and within the rules of both challenges".  On further thought I decided to pick 12 new books for the TBR Challenge.  I will use the books on my Read Before I Die challenge list as my alternatives for the TBR Challenge.

My 12 Books (in random order)
  1. The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rusdie-my first of his books-1/14
  2. The Tenant of Windfell Hall by Anne Bronte-my first Anne Bronte
  3. Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson-read 1/4/10
  4. Some Do Not by Ford Madox Ford
  5. No More Parades by Ford Madox Ford
  6. A Man Could Stand Up by Ford Madox Ford
  7. The Last Post by Ford Madox Ford (4 to 7 make up the four novels in The Parade's End tetralogy-I hope to host a read along on this work once I read it the first time.    It is four novels published independently that came to be know under the collective name of The Parade' End.   Anthony Burgess has said the combined work is the finest ever English Language novel.  Other have said it is half genius and  half a messy bore.
  8. Wide Sargossa Sea by Jean Rhys  1/6/10
  9. A Personal Matter by Kenzabuo Oe
  10. Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino
  11. Tales of Ise by Arihara no Narihira 1/2/2010
  12. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
All of these books fit well into other challenges I am signed up for so it does not actually add  a lot to the number of books I need to complete my 2010 challenges and everyone I for sure want to read.

I thank Miz B for hosting it and look forward to reading the posts it will produce.

Jan 1-2010  number 11-Tales of Ise

I will track my progess on this Challenge on My Challenge Tracking Page and list the individual books I read for it here as the year goes on.   

Mel u



2 comments:

Imogen said...

Just a quick note to say, I love your blog, the layout and all the cats.

I'm also in awe with regards to the amount of reading you seem to do -and I thought I read a lot :P

Anyway, best of luck with all your challenges and best of everything in 2010...

[A fellow TBR participant]

Mel u said...

Imogen-thanks for dropping by my blog and glad to meet a fellow TBR participant