Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Saturday, July 7, 2012

Third Year Blogiversary For The Reading Life

Observations on my blog turning three


Part I

Today is the third year Blogiversary of The Reading Life.   I thought I would do a long post about the growth and development of my blog but I have decided just to extend my heartfelt thanks to those who read my posts.  I follow my blog stats very closely.   I know pretty much what draws to people to my blog.   I have read numerous book blog posts in which people say they do not even look at their stats and some scuff at those who do.  More power to them but I have seen many blogs come and go in the last three years, some very good ones, and if you read their sad close out posts you normally get the feeling it comes form a sense that no one is listening to them so why bother.   



My greatest thanks are to those who take the trouble to comment on my posts.   I appreciate all visits, even from people just looking for help with their homework, but it is commentators that keep you going.   

If you have any suggestions or ideas to improve my blog, please leave a comment.

I will do another post on the future of my blog as I see it.   I will say I never dreamed three years ago that I would even keep the blog going this long and I never dreamed I would have so many readers and be posting short stories from famous writers.   I hope in three more years my blog will have reinvented itself several times but I will talk more about future plans in my next state of the blog post.


Mel u

13 comments:

Dwight said...

Congrats mel! Here's to many more anniversaries.

Fred said...

Mel U,

You got it exactly right. The number of visitors is important, but the few who comment are the ones who keep me going with my blog.

That's why I think Walt Whitman's poem, "A Noiseless Patient Spider" as the official bloggers's poem.

Brandon Shire said...

Congrats! Loving it. :)

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Oh yay! Happy Blogoversary!

I just celebrated my fourth one earlier this year!

@parridhlantern said...

Happy Blog-day to you, Happy Blog-day to you Happy Blog-day The Reading Life & Mel, Happy Blog-day to you. Yours was one of the 1st I was aware of when I started mine, so ecstatically pleased you're still going strong & will be interested in how you go from here. Happy Blogiversary.

Judith / Leeswammes said...

Congrats!

JoV said...

Congratulations Mel. Toast to many more wonderful blogging years!

Suko said...

Congratulations, Mel! Your passion for "the reading life" is extremely evident here, and reading about your reading is quite wonderful, and often leads me down new reading pathways. Here's to many more years of book blogging!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Blogoversary, Mel! More power! Keep on inspiring... :)

JoAnn said...

Congratulations, Mel! I always enjoy my time here :-)

Rise said...

Happy Anniversary, mel!

Caroline said...

I'm oo late, why did I not see this post.
I wish you many more such great years, a lot of visitors and that you amy always find books and stories which will inspire you.

Mel u said...

Dwight-thanks so much and I will always treasure our Ford Madox Ford read along-

To All-thanks so very much and please excuse my slowness to respond

Fred-thanks very much-I will look up the Whitman poem-yes it is those who leave comments that sometimes keep bloggers going

Brandon Shire-it is an honor to have the author of The Value of the Rain, one of the best books I read in 2011, stop by

Jessica@A Great Read-four years-that is great-tbanks for your comment

Parrish Lantern-you for sure help keep me going-

Judith Leeswammes -thanks so much

JoV-I appreciate your visits-I still get lots of hits on Malaysian short stories even though I dropped the ball in 2011

Suko-thanks so much for the long term comments and I feel the same way about Suko's Notebook-you got me into short stories in March 2010

Nancy Cudis-our series of posts on short stories of the Philippines are now the very most viewed posted of the 1100 plus on my blog-I never expected that-thanks so much

Joann-thanks so much for the kind words

Rise-I hope one day you will return to book blogging

Anna-thanks so much-every year I wonder what your challenge will be

Caroline-I have several works lined up for German literature month-thanks so much for your help with my Irish Short Story Event