Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction and Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel and post Colonial Asian Fiction are some of my Literary Interests





Tuesday, December 30, 2014

An Old Maid by Honore de Balzac (1836, a novel, A Component of The Human Comedy)



Mel u has asked me to take over The Reading Life for at least the rest of the year.  He gave me full control to  post to on whatever I wanted but he did ask me read An Old Maid by Honore de Balzac and tell you what I thought about it. 


I found An Old Maid over all boring, rambling and disorganized and it was all I could do to push through to the end.  The narrator seems to feel a woman who never marries is sure to turn into a miderable tyaranical shrew dedicated to making everyone's lives miserable.   Like a typical Balzac novel there are concerns over money and some good food scenes and I concede the description of the interiors were well done.

32/91


No comments: