Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Tuesday, December 30, 2014

An Old Maid by Honore de Balzac (1836, a novel, A Component of The Human Comedy)



Mel u has asked me to take over The Reading Life for at least the rest of the year.  He gave me full control to  post to on whatever I wanted but he did ask me read An Old Maid by Honore de Balzac and tell you what I thought about it. 


I found An Old Maid over all boring, rambling and disorganized and it was all I could do to push through to the end.  The narrator seems to feel a woman who never marries is sure to turn into a miderable tyaranical shrew dedicated to making everyone's lives miserable.   Like a typical Balzac novel there are concerns over money and some good food scenes and I concede the description of the interiors were well done.

32/91


No comments: