Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction and Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel and post Colonial Asian Fiction are some of my Literary Interests





Monday, December 8, 2014

The Black Sheep by Honore de Balzac (1842, - A Novel - A Component of The Human Comedy)




My Posts on Balzac

The Black Sheep is very much what I have come to see as a typical Balzac novel centering on family difficulties brought on by  money problems. I am about a third of the way toward reading through The Human Comedy, not really that big a project, many dedicated book bloggers could do it in under three months, and I see the biggest potential obstacle the seeming sameness of many of  the works.  But that is only a first thought, on second thought every work has interesting things and lets you time travel to France circa 1830 to 1845.  



Wikepedia has a good plot summery so I will just mention a few things I really liked.

I enjoyed learning about how the Paris lottery worked, how lottery branches were often given out as kind of sinecures to deserving and politically in favor widows.  There is a vicious scheme to poison all the dogs in a village and for some warped reason I quite liked that.  There is a plot to starve 100s of mice and then releases them into an enemie's granary.   I really like all the food descriptions and especially the very famous section devoted to making a quality omelet. Money, food,  class, are all intimately tied together in Balzac's world.

This book is primarily for those reading the full comedy.  

29 of 91

I have now begun A Woman of Thirty.




     
      "I find all this constant talk of money tiresome"
                       Ambrosia Bousweau 






No comments: