Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, August 11, 2024

"Hazel" - A Short story by Carol Shields- 22 Pages - included with The Short Stories of Carol Shields- 2004


 

This year, Buried in Print, a marvelous blog I have followed for over ten years,is doing a read through of the short stories of Carol Shields. I hope to participate fully in this event.



The more I read in the stories of Carol Shields the more grateful I am to Buried in Print for turning me on to her work. There are sixty some stories in the collection,it is my hope to read and post on them all in 2024.


"Hazel" is the 26th story by Carol Shields upon which I have posted. Hazel is a recently widowed woman in her 50s with two married daughters. She has enough money to live comfortably but she feels bored now that she lives alone. Never having had a job, she applies for work as a kitchen product demonstrator. To her surprise, she gets the position.  

We follow Hazel as she advances in her career.

 My main purpose now in posting on the stories of Carol Shields is to keep a record of my reading.




1 comment:

Buried In Print said...

This is one of my favourite stories in the collection along with Mrs. Turner and her adventures cutting the grass. :-) If it's become too much to post about each story, please consider that you could give yourself a break. You could include a list of which ones you've read each month in your monthly summary, if you'd still like a record but perhaps not the responsibility of posting on each story individually. Not that I don't enjoy the story summaries, but I understand how time-consuming that is and you have a huge stack of reading to discuss I know.