Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Friday, November 26, 2010

"Six Years After" by Katherine Mansfield

"Six Years After" by Katherine Mansfield (1923, 8 pages)


"Six Years After" is one of the unfinished stories by Katherine Mansfield (1888 to 1923-New Zealand) that her husband John Middleton Murry included in his collection of her work, The Dove's Nest and Other Stories published shortly after her death in 1923.    The unfinished stories are by and large read now only by those who want to read all of her stories.     I know now which of her stories are most read (and most assigned in schools world wide) by looking at my blogger stats reports on most viewed posts.   I can even now with some accuracy tell, for example, what colleges in Korea and Indian assign her stories.   By far the most popular story in terms of class room assignments is "Miss Brill".     

"Six Years After" reads like a completed story.   I really liked it a lot for its portrayal of a married couple of 28 years still very much in love with each other.    They are on a holiday sea cruise.   The depiction of  the psychological state that a holiday sea cruise can induce seemed totally spot on to me.     Mansfield's ability to so well depict how the man and the woman in this story feel about each other is just further proof of her genius.   There is also a very surreal dream sequence.     I know this story will only be read by those who already love Mansfield.

"Six Years After" can be read here.

Mel u

2 comments:

Carol E Wyer said...

hello from a new follower who has happily stumbled across your blog. I am mad about reading and books. As a speed reader I get through far too many and am always on the look out for the next one to read. This is a super blog. I was delighted to see you have a post about 'Jamaica Inn' one of the first 'grown up' books I read as a youngster. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Mel u said...

Facing50Blog-as one who faced 50 a long time ago-I am now a follower of your blog-thanks for visiting me