Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, November 25, 2010

Welcome all Literary Book Blog Hoppers-week four-What 21th century novels might still be read in the 22nd century

To me the Literary Book Blog Hop is a great event.    I read and post on mostly classics, short stories, Asian Fiction and what I see as literary novels.   Lately I have been very into the work of Katherine Mansfield and Virginia Woolf but I am also reading through the work of Kenzaburo Oe and Junichiro Tanizaki, for example.

I admit sometimes I have felt out of place on events where it seems almost all the other bloggers post on young adult books, paranormal and vampire books.   


Every week the Literary Book Blog asks that participants answer a question-here is the question for this week

What makes a contemporary novel a classic? 
Discuss a book which you think fits the category of ‘modern classics’ and explain why. 



1.     Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon-might be last great work by the author of the best (at least) 20th century American novel-I know this may be looked on by many  as a very off the mark pick but I see this of all the 21th century books as having a chance to still  be read in 100 years.      

2.    The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt-a throwback to the Victorian novel, beautifully written and full of wisdom and knowledge-speaks back to a more refined era-

3.   Savage Poets, Nazi Literature in the Americas and 2666 by Roberto Bolano-translated into English in the 21th century-incredibly talented writer-2666 close to instant Canon status and sadly the fact that the author is dead pushes the standing as a future classic up.

4.   Keepsake by Kristy Gunn.   -I hope this book is read and in print as long as people love beautiful language-


I think the Literary Book Blog Hop is a great idea.   I thank Connie, Ingrid, and Christina for starting it-I think it will be a great success.

I wish to follow all literary book bloggers-if you follow me and I do not follow you back please leave me a comment and I will follow you-

Mel u

16 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Your blog is one of the best literary blogs I have across. I might not comment but I read each and every post of yours in my google reader.

I will check out those books...

Here is my Literary Blog Hop post!

Olivia said...

I haven't read any of the books on your list. I appreciate the recommendations. I put all of them on my library list!

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

I'm with you on Against the Day. So that's two votes, at least.

I basically never use the word "classic," but I think this is the way to do it - our guess about which books will last, which may not be quite the same thing as which books are best. Bad books never last, but neither to most good books.

I'd add Ian McEwan's Atonement to that excellent list, perhaps just for the dazzling Dunkirk chapter.

litlove said...

I own The Children's Book but have yet to read it. I'm delighted you love it - other reviews I've read have been more mixed. On the whole, I'm an A. S. Byatt fan, with Still Life my favourite.

IngridLola said...

I admit I haven't read any of those books yet! I need to go check them out.

Melody said...

I'm thrilled about the literary blog hop too. There has been some great conversation happening.

I haven't read the books you list, I'll have to look into them.

Jamie said...

I just bought The Children's Book for 50 cents at a book sale! I've heard incredible things about it and had to snatch it up when I saw it. I'll be checking out some of the others that you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

agree with bolano he truely will become a modern classic sure in many year just be the two main books ,all the best stu

Anonymous said...

I believe Pynchon is a really good choice. He is already mentioned in many theory books on postmodernism...
Em

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to read 2666 soon, so It's nice to know you consider it a classic. We'll see! It's quite dauting in size.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I have no idea what will last. Wish I knew.

My thoughts: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/literary-blog-hop-contemporary-and.html

@parridhlantern said...

Totally with you on Bolano, my problem was which one, in the end it came down to personal choice, also agree on pynchon, not read the one you've picked but have read V & the crying of lot 49. enjoyed your viewpoint as per.
Parrish

Rachel said...

I really enjoyed 'The Children's Book' by A.S. Byatt. I am not sure if it will become a classic, I think Possession might. I really am hesitant to make such judgements though!

Mel u said...

Rachael-I am not real strong on Children's Book as a future classic-it may become an "academic" read-it is a tough judgment and we will never know what happens!

parrish lantern-I picked the Pynchon I did as i decided to pick only from 21th century books-I could see 2666 and Savage Poets as enduring books

reader buzz-thanks for stopping by my blog-I enjoyed your list

leeswammes-I hope you like 2666 and will look forward to your thoughts on it


emeire-I feel strongly about the Pynchon

Litlove-I have read three Byatts and liked them all

Mel u said...

gautami tripathy-thanks for your kind words-I read all your posts and I also admit I do not comment a lot-I am glad to have you on my blog

Amateur Reader-I will add Atonement to my 2011 tbr list-thanks for the recommendation-I might reread Against the Day in 2011

Jamie-50 cents is great deal! I will look forward to reading your thoughts on The Children's Book

Mel u said...

Olivia-thanks or stopping by my blog and I will be happy to see your posts on the books I listed

IngridLola-thanks for stopping by as always

Melody-yes I really like the literary blog hop a lot

winstons dad-I agree that just the two big Bolanos will be lasting classics-the others will still be read by those who love the big books, my guess any way-thanks so much for stopping by