Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Widowed" by Katherine Mansfield-The Reading Life Katherine Mansfield Project Notes

"Widowed" by Katherine Mansfield  (1921, 7 pages)


Project Notes

"Widowed" by Katherine Mansfield (1888 to 1923)   was first published in 1921 and was included by her husband, John Middleton Murry, in his collection of her stories, The Dove's Nest and Other Stories published shortly after her death in 1923.

When I first read "Miss Bliss" in May I knew then I would read a few more of her stories.   It took me about five stories (out of her 85 or so) to decide to read and post on all of her completed stories.   My method of approach was to read the stories in each of  the five collections edited by Mansfield and her husband or after her death Murry alone.    I read them all online at the wonderful New Zealand Electronic Text Center.   There are a few stories that are not in the five collections, mostly very early stories and these I have not yet read.    I was sort of determined to do all my reading online rather than buy a collection of her complete stories so others could share in the experience of the stories.    I have been reading Mansfield regularly for six months now.    I am going to soon post list of recommended Mansfield stories.   One benefit of posting on so many Mansfield stories is I can tell what Mansfield stories are most assigned in class rooms throughout the world by seeing which of my Mansfield posts are most viewed.    I am sure now Mansfield is being read all over the world.

"Widowed" is a marvelous story of a happy marriage.    It is a beautiful  work of art.  

Mel u

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that your posts are helping to contribute to the fact that Mansfiled was indeed a wonderful writer - much underrated.

Once I have cleared most of my TBR clutter I fully intend to give her works my full attention. I love how you write about my favourite authors, even when I don't!