Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, March 27, 2011

"The Jay" by Yasunari Kawabata

"The Jay"  by Yasunari Kawabata (5 pages, 1947, translated from Japanese by Lane Dunlop


The Reading Life Japanese Literature Project

Yesterday I read a great short story by Yukio Mishima.    This morning I read another short story by one of the greats of 20th century Japanese Literature, Yasunari Kawabata (1899 to 1972-Nobel Prize 1968).     In September of 2009 I read and posted on one of his most famous novels, The Old Capital.    As I began to read The Old Capital  I was struck by how many images from nature were in the book.   I began to count them and in the 187 page work I found over 750 references to flowers, trees, plants and gardens.     The novel  deals directly with the conflict in post WWII Japanese culture between those who wanted to cling to old forms and their great beauty and tradition and those who rushed to adopt western consumerism.  

After too long a  hiatus, I am glad to be again reading a few Japanese works.

As "The Jay" opens an elderly nearly blind Japanese grandmother hears  a baby bird outside their window crying.    He has fallen from the nest.    The bird's mother is seeking her.    We quickly learn that the central character in the story, a young soon to be married woman,  is living with her father and second wife, her step mother.   Her mother left the family in pursuit of a faster more exciting life style than her husband could or would provide.    Yoshiko begins to ponder why the mother bird cares more for her off spring than her own mother does for her.  Yoshiko finds out her younger brother has done something very shocking.   He has sought out and found their birth mother.    Yoshiko feels only evil will come of this.   Her step mother says she always knew and feared that one day the children would seek out their real mother.   The son wants to get to know his mother.   The normally calm father once flew into a wild rage when Yoshiko just showed him a picture of their mother.

The plot is very well resolved and narrated.   I will not tell anymore of it.   Readers of other works by Kawabata will find the story to be what they would expect, a nature centered story of great beauty and depth and new readers can "try him out".  

You can read it online HERE

Mel u

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only read one book by Kawabata, Snow Country. After that, I wanted to read all of his works. I've heard about his 'palm of the hands' stories. I suppose "The Jay" is one of them. Your review has also prompted me to note The Old Capital. I think I'll like to read it for all its nature references. I'm waiting for the next JLC to read Kawabata again.

Mel u said...

rippleeffects-thanks for your comments-you can read this story in under five minutes-it has a lot of the basic themes of Kawabata-Snow Country will be the next of his novels I read

@parridhlantern said...

I read & posted on "Master of Go" last year & absolutely loved the book that I've added all the books in translation I could find to my Wishlist (bookmooch), so will check this out.

SG said...

The Cricket and the Grasshopper short story captivated me and I will read aloud at our reader's circle here in Taos . Generally we only have 5 minutes so I will ask for 2 more because it is so gentle and beautiful and wise.