Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Japanese Literature Challenge 11- Hosted by Dolce Bellezza





















This will be the ninth year in which I have participated in The Japanese Literature Challenge,  Hosted by Dolce Bellezza.  The event runs from July 1 to January 31, 2018.  All your are asked to do is read one work of Japanese literature and share your thoughts.  There are lots of great reading suggestions on the event home page.

The post World War II Japanese novel is a world class cultural treasure.  Every month sees new translations by contemporary writers and first translations of older works.  Very recently two novels and ten short stories by Junichiro Tanizaki were initially translated.  

This year I hope to read and post on these works for Japanese Literature 11

Slow Boat to China RMX by Hideo Furukawa

Record of a Night to Brief by Hiromi Kawakam

Spring Garden by Tomoka Shibaski

The Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada

Beasts Head For Home by Abe Kobo

Triangle Triangle by Hisaki Matsuura

Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori

Short stories collections 

Junichiro Tanazaki- ten new translated short stories.

Men Without Women by Haruki  Murakami

Six of the writers are new to me.   

Please consider joining us for this event.  Besides learning about Japanese literature, it is a great way to discover new book blogs. 

Mel u











 

6 comments:

Fred said...

Mel u,

While I'm much too disorganized to get involved in any external challenges (it's hard enough to stick with my own projects), I will be watching for clues about possible additions to my search list.

I have read, in my usual haphazard fashion, several Japanese authors in the past (and haiku are one of my favorite types of poetry), and so I'm interested in learning about different authors.

Suko said...

Mel, I'm glad you're "on board" with Bellezza. It's always a treat to read Japanese literature. There are so many wonderful books to choose from.

Mel u said...

Fred, The Japanese Challenge only asks we read one book. But I can strongly relate to going your own way. Thanks as always for your comment

Mel u said...

Suko, looking forward to seeing what everyone will read. Thanks as always for your comments

Fred said...

Mel u,

I doubt if this counts, but I just finished Lafcadio Hearn's _Kwaidan: Ghost Tales and Strange Stories of Old Japan_. He's not Japanese, so that would disqualify this book. A film was made of some of the stories from the book, so I will be watching that whenever Netflix finds a DVD to send me.

Mel u said...

Fred, strange coincidence. Maybe fifty years ago I tead a good bit of Lafcadio Hearn but you are right, not qualified for Challenge