Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, September 15, 2011

My First Ever Meme-Third Sentence Thursday

Third Sentence Thursday

A lot of bloggers in their posts on community building say doing memes is a great way to participate more in the wonderful very broad and large book blog community.   In two years I have never done one but I am open to new things so I will be doing several memes in the next week or so to see if it feels right for my blog.   

Third Sentence Thursday is hosted by Sniffy Kitty's Mostly Books.   The rules are simple:

1) Take the book you are reading now and post the third sentence
2) Review this sentence anyway you want (funny and silly reviews encouraged)
3) Post a link to your sentence here (in the comments) or if you don't have a blog, just post it in the comments!  (on her blog)

I am reading several books now but I picked the third sentence in Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  

Years later it seemed to him that even in this sanctuary he did not escape lightly,but about that he never fully made up his mind-in  1917 he laughed at the idea, saying apologetically that the war didn't touch him at all.
I am almost done with Tender is the Night.  There are some phrases, some sentences and some side action in the book I really like but it is not really up to the standard of  The Great Gatsby.  I will post on the whole book soon but this sentence is really a good one to look at.   The chief male character Richard Diver is an American, a very eminent doctor of psychology who seeks an escape from the madness of WWI by entering into a mad very destructive romance.  The third sentence lets us see he is sort of a spectator in his own life and that he feels some how guilty about his privileged position.    We can also see he may be hiding a lot and laughing off some real pain.


This my first meme so let me know how I did please


Mel u



7 comments:

Marg said...

Good luck with your meme experiment! I often find they help in terms of having some structure at least for a couple of days a week!

Mel u said...

Marg,-yes I can see how they would add structure-and I see how memes can help you open up your blog to new readers -like I said-new to me -for a while I will try a number of them

Judith H said...

It's nice to see you've started "meme-ing"! I don't do this one, but I have my Ugly Covers Competition on Thursday and you can't have it all. (Do enter, if you like!).

I read half of Tender is the Night but it wasn't for me. I found it boring and quite hard to read (my review is here: http://leeswammes.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/tender-is-the-night-by-scott-fitzgerald-dnf/).

It sounds you don't like it as much as you had hoped. At least you will finish it. That's good.

Mel u said...

Judith H-I will try your meme also-I liked some of the phrases and little "stories" a really lot but maybe the book as whole does not totally work for me-

JoAnn said...

I like the structure provided by memes, too. Have been doing Diane's Tuesday Intro lately and also enjoy The Sunday Salon (although I've been absent from that one for the past month).

Tender is the Night was a high school favorite, and I've been wanting to reread it for the past year. Will look forward to your thoughts.

Mel u said...

Joann-I hope to post on Tender is the Night very soon-I can see now how a meme can help structure a blog

Sidne said...

You can't go wrong with memes. I enjoy them so much when I'm not posting a review or having a special feature, I like to partake in memes. there are so many book memes and hops. welcome to the book meme community.
http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com