Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Monday, August 1, 2011

August Blog and Reading Plans-Sunday Salon

August Blog and Reading Plans

Every month I sort of at least 1/2 way plan out my reading goals for the month.    Sometimes these plans lead to my participation in book blog events or my own Reading Life Events.   I decided to set out my August plans, in part so I can look back September 1 and see what happened.

Indonesian and Malaysian Short Stories

In Observation of Indonesian (August 17) and Malaysian Independence Days (August 31) I will be reading and posting on short stories by authors from these two South East Asian countries.   These events will be co-hosted by bloggers with a deep understanding of the culture of these countries.   All you have to do to join in is read and post on one short story and leave us a comment with your post address.  

Resources Web Page on Indonesian Short Stories

(Malaysian Resources to be posted shortly)


Two Read-a-Longs

I will be joining in two read-a-longs.   One on Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin hosted by Bread Crumb Reads.   I will also be reading Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell along with others in a read-a-long hosted by The Heroine's Bookshelf.    This events runs from August 1 to Oct 15 (it is a true chunkster!).   I have already started it and I really like it so far.  There is a good change I will read at a much faster rate and perhaps mostly post on my own.     I have seen the movie numerous times but I can already see there is so much more in the book.    

My Reading Plans
Top of the List!

  1. A Room with a View by E. M. Forster-love him!
  2. The Longest Journey  by E. M. Forster
  3. The Plague by Albert Camus-a must read from long ago!
  4. The Siege of Krisnapar by J. G. Farrell-a Booker Prize Winning writer
  5. The Beach of Falesa by Robert Louis Stevenson-great writer
  6. Two not yet published novels-maybe three-from authors-
  7. A Clear Light of Day by Anita Desai-set in New Delhi-my first of her books
  8. Villan by Shuichi Yoside-newly translated Japanese crime novel-good reviews
Tentative Books-
Hopefully I will read some of these

  1. The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann-hopefully!
  2. The Moor's Last Stand by Salmon Rusdie-will be my 3rd of his books
  3. Arrow of God by Achebe Chinua-not his most famous book but I have it
  4. Memorial by Christopher Isherwood-will try it
  5. R. K. Narayan-one to three novels (all under 150 pages each)
  6. Mulk Raj Anand-at least one of his novels-I have posted on his short stories-he was introduced to English readers by his good friend E. M. Forster
A number of these books were given to me by a patron of my blog from New Delhi.   I note with great satisfaction now that many days 25 percent or more of my readers are from New Delhi
Short Stories

I am open on what I will read but I will for sure read more short stories.   Hopefully a few Japanese short stories, some South Asian short stories by new to me authors, and other wise I am open to suggestions.


Please let me know of your experience with any of the books I have mentioned.   If you have any reading suggestions, please let me know?

Do you totally plan out your reading for long periods ahead, some what, or what ever happens happens?

Mel u

6 comments:

Fred said...

Mel u,

Mann's _The Magic Mountain_ is on my "must reread" list. It has been on the list since I first read it back in the early 60s. And, every time I read it, I put it back on the list for another reading. I guess I've read it at least 4? 5? 6? times.

I must admit I approached the first time with some trepidation-- after all, a novel set in a TB sanitarium?

However, Hans Castorp is the perfect protagonist for he is young, naive, and unaware of his naivete. This allows him to go about his political, theological, spiritual, and romantic explorations and encounters as blindly and innocently as a newborn babe.

It's been a few years since I've read it, perhaps it's time for another go at it.

Mel u said...

Fred-thanks so much for your comments-I think I will try to read it in August for sure now-

JoV said...

Three books on my TBR and you will see soon on my wrap-up I have just bought The Longest Journey by E. M. Forster and The Moor's last sigh by Salman Rushdie in July.

The Plague by Albert Camus is on my shelf as well. Good selection!

StephTheBookworm said...

Good luck with your goals! I haven't read any of them, but I hope you enjoy!

Short Story Slore said...

Love, love, love Gone with the Wind! I want to reread it some time in the near future - one of my favorites. I've had touble with Sense and Sensibility. I've tried to start it a few times and it's the only Jane Austen novel I haven't finished. Hope you enjoy your planned reads this month!

Novroz said...

Looking forward for your review on Indonesian Shorts :)

I have one of my friend reviewed it already,and I have finished one of mine :)