Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Reading Life Review - September, 2017








Included in my September collage are some of the greatest poets of all time, two Booker Prize Winners, several in the Science Fiction/Fantasy genres, including a back to back winner of two Hugo Award along with writers at the start of what I predict will be distinguished careers.  

I posted upon the work of 8 men and 10 women.

11 are alive and 6 are not.  America has the most authors this month at 7

followed by England with 4, Ireland 2, Canada 2, Italy 1, and Iran (was Persia) 1.

There are six poets in the collage.  I anticipate reading more poetry going forward. 

I do collages because I enjoy it and it helps New readers see at a glance the multicultural nature of The Reading Life and my commitment to Literary Globalism.
Somehow it gives me a good feeling to place an image of a just starting writer next to one from the Pantheon. 

Column One (at the left, top to bottom

  1. Jenny Zhang, author of The Sour Heart
  2. T. S. Eliot. The Waste Land, most influential poem of the 20th Century
  3. Samuel Coleridge, "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
  4. Shauna Gilligan, author of Happiness Comes from Nowhere

Column Two

  1. Meia Geddes- author of The Little Queen
  2. Jeff Pearce.  Nonfiction on WW Two in Ethiopia 
  3. Anne C. Bailey - historian on Slavery in America 
  4. Mavis Gallant 

Column Three

  1. Sylvia Plath
  2. N. K. Jemisin - winner of back to back Hugo Awards
  3. Rachel Kaddish. - Author of The Weight of Ink
  4. Omar Khayyam 

Column Four

  1. Penelope Lively.  Booker Prize Winner
  2. John Keats 
  3. Thomas Gray

Column Five

  1. John Banville.  Booker Prize Winner
  2. Edgardo Franzosini-author of The Grazer
  3. Naomi Kritzer - Science Fiction Writer.  

Additionally I read two books upon which I did not post:

  1. The Odyssey:  A Father, A Son, and an Epic by Donald Mendolsohn
  2. Moving the Palace by Charif Majdalan

Blog Stats

There are currently 3150 posts on The Reading Life

Since inception on July 7, 2009 there have been 4,824,412 pages views

The top visitor home countries were

  1. The Philippines (3rd Month in a Row in First Place)
  2. U S A
  3. India 
  4. Canada
  5. France

Top five most viewed posts were all on short stories by authors from the Philippines.

We received first visits from three countries, Andorra, Nauru, and Grenada.

I removed the flag counter widget from the footer.  Much the same data is in blogger stats. Third party widgets can slow down load time.

Review Policy 

I don't really have a policy.  I am one of the very few book bloggers that regularly reviews nonfiction, mostly history and biographies.  I will look at anything I am sent.  

I am open to guest posts, if interested contact me. 

I offer my great thanks to all who take the time to leave comments.  You help keep me going.  

Mel u




















8 comments:

Suko said...

Mel, September was an incredible reading month for you! Keep reading and posting! I can't believe it's almost October.

Meia said...

Thank you very much for the inclusion, Mel, it is an honor. I admire your commitment to reading literature from around the world.

Mudpuddle said...

an eclectic collection... amazing that you're able to get many of those books, much less read them all...

Mel u said...

Suko, thanks a always for your comment

Mel u said...

Meia, I greatly enjoyed readung and posting upon your The Little Queen. . Thanks for your kind words

Mel u said...

Mudpuddle, thanks very much for your comments, They mean a lot to ME.

Buried In Print said...

The variety of works you review is amazing; I think you must encourage a lot of readers, who are determined to stick with one or two veins of interest, to reach beyond what is their usual cup of tea/favourite beverage. All to the good! I hope you have some terrific reads waiting for you in October!

Mel u said...

Buried in Print. Over eight plus years of blogging I have greatly expanded my Reading range. Thanks as always for your encouragement