Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Monday, January 1, 2018

The Reading Life Review- December, 2017

December 2017
Authors



In December 21 writers of fiction and poetry were featured on The Reading Life.  14 are deceased, 7 living.  There are eleven women and ten men.  I have previously posted on 13 of the authors, eight are new to The Reading Life.  Two won the Nobel Prize, one was awarded the Booker Prize in 2017.

7 wrote in Yiddish, all are deceased.  

USA- 5

Poland - 4

Ukraine- 2

India- 2

England - 2

Japan - 1

Lithuania- 1

Kenya - 1

France - 1

Russia - 1

Germany - 1

1st Column 

  1. Jenny Zhang, author of Sour Heart 
  2. Sholom Aleichem - best known, most loved Yiddish writer
  3. Cynthia Ozick
  4. Junichiro Tanizaki 
  5. Rabindranath Tagore- first Asian to win the Nobel Prize 

2nd Column (three images)

  1. Farah Ahamed- multi-awarded Short Story Writer
  2. Anton Chekhov
  3. Edith Knocky

3rd Column

  1. Mordecai Spector -Yiddish author, Polish
  2. Zadie Smith
  3. Penelope Fitzgerald 
  4. Chava Rosenfarb - Yiddish author, immigrated from Lithuania to Canada 
  5. Blume Lempel.  Yiddish writer, immigrated Poland to Canada 


4th Column

  1. Honoree de Balzac
  2. I. L. Peretz.  - often called father of modern Yiddish literature 
  3. Philip Roth
  4. George Saunders - winner 2017 Booker Prize

Column Five

  1. Sharanya Manivannan.  To be extensively featured in 2018
  2. Anna Seghers - German, author of Transit and The Seven Crosses
  3. Isaac Singer.  Nobel Prize Winner, Yiddish writer, immigrated from Poland to USA
  4. Dvora Baron - Yiddish writer

Blog stats Will appear in tommorow’s year end Review.

My highest recommended item is “The Shawl” by Cynthia Ozick, readable online and in a podcast.

I give my great thanks to those who take The time to leave comments.











1 comment:

Deepika Ramesh said...

Hi Mel, thank you for this extensive post. I have made note of some of these authors. Your posts have encouraged me to enroll myself in a public library here. I am curious to know if they would lend books written by these authors. I will keep you posted on my adventures. Thank you again for sharing your book-love.