Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Monday, December 31, 2018

The Reading Life Review - December 2018



December Authors 





Column 1- from the left

  1. Mavis Gallant - Canada to France
  2. Eleanor Catton - New Zealand -The Luminaries- 2013 Man Booker Prize Winner
  3. Sabrina Orah Mark -USA- Wild Milk -amazing Short Stories 

Column 2

  1. James Allan - USA - Prize Winning Historian of World War Two in Asia
  2. Sylvia Townsend-Warner- UK - The Kingdoms of Elfin
  3. Rhys Bowen - UK to USA- author many best sellers 

Column 3

  1. Yenta Marsh - Moldavia to Israel. Very prolific Yiddish language writer 
  2. Nella Larsen - USA - her classic work is Passing
  3. Joseph Opatoshu- Poland to USA. Yiddish writer

Column 4

  1. Blume Lempel - Ukraine to France then New York. Powerful Yiddish writer
  2. Edif Bautman- USA - The Idiot. Novel. Short listed for 2017 Pulitzer Prize 
  3. Francois Coppee - France. Charming short stories 

I posted on nine works by women, three by men, seven by the deceased and five by the living.  Six authors were featured for the first time, I hope to return to more by these wonderful writers, and six were old friends.

Eight wrote in English, three Yiddish, and one in French.

Blog Stats

As of today, my blog has received 5,523,314 page views 

There are 3459 posts online

Of the five most viewed posts for December, three were on short stories by authors from the Philippines, plus “A Saleswoman” by Colette and “The Auspicious Vision” by Rabindranath Tagore

Top Countries of origin of visits

U.S.A, India, Russia, The Phillippines, France, Germany, Canada, The Ukraine, and The UK.

Books I read in December but did not post on

  1. Kingdoms of Elfin by Sylvia Townsend Warner.  I love stories about the fey world and these are among the best.  16 stories first published in The New Yorker

  1. Bookmarked:  Reading My Way from Hollywood to Brooklyn by Wendy Fairey.  Interesting Reading Life memoir

  1. The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family’s Century of Art and Loss by Edmund de Waal.  A beautiful masterwork.  I hope to post on this once I have meditated on it a white.

I Will do a seperate posts for my Reading Life hopes and plans for 2019 soon.

My great thanks to Max u for the Amazon Gift Cards.

To those who leave comments, you help keep me going.

To my fellow book bloggers, keep blogging.  

Mel u












1 comment:

Suko said...

Mel, you are an exceptionally prolific book blogger!

I've been trying to catch up on my blogging!

Have a terrific New Year's! :)