Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, December 1, 2013

German Literature III November 2013. A Great Reading Experience




When you think of Germany's contribution to world culture does your mind go to the great philosophical works of Kant or Hegel, the poetry of Rilke or Goethe,or the great cathedral of Ulm,
or the novels of Nobel Prize Laureates like Thomas Mann and Hermann Hesse? Or do you think of Nazis, concentration camps and the terrible consequences of World War Two?  One of the paradoxes of the human condition is how can one society do all these things?  

GLIII was a great reading experience for me.  Here is what i read with a few comments.   I read a number of new to me writers that have added to my read all I can list.

What I Read.



I am really glad I decided to once again participate in 
German Literature Month November 2013.  I thank Caroline and Lizzy for hosting this great reading event.




The Tin Drum-by Gunther Grass. I am glad I read his master work.  No further reading plans
"The Judgement" by Franz Kafka. -  always good to read more Kafka
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque -very powerful war novel - must read 
"A Letter from an Unknown Woman" by Stefan Zweig. - decent story
The Death of the Adversary by Hans Klein - I liked it a lot
"The Job Application" by Robert Walser -great new to me writer
Chess Game by Stefan Zweig-I will read much more of his work- very good work
"The Battle of Sempach" by Robert Walser
I have also listed to podcasts of "Basta" and "Frau Wilkes" by Robert Walser
The March of Radetsky by Joseph Roth I hope to read all his work- has master work

Memoirs of an Anti-Semite by Gregor von Rezzori amazing work of art.

"Flypaper" by Robert Musil

"Mendel the Bibliophile" by Stefan Zweig - I totally love this story.

"The Dead are Silent" by Arthur Schnitzler an entertaining work from 1907

"There Will Be Action" by Heinrich Boll a very good short story by Nobel Prize Winner

Transit by Anne Seghars 1942 very much worth reading

The World of Yesterday by Stefan Zweig - an elegy to a lost culture. 1942

Austerlitz by W. G. Sebald. 2001. A modern must read

The Emperor's Tomb By Joseph Roth 1938  a sequel to the first of his works I read. 

"Flower Days" by Robert Walser 1907 (no post) 

"Trousers" by Robert Walser -1909 (no post)

Medea By Crista Wolf very interesting 

An Ermine in Czernopol by Gregor Von Rezzori loved it

"Forgotten Dreams" by StefanZweig (no post)  

Leviathan" by Joseph Roth decent

"The Legend of the Holy Drinker" by Joseph Roth great story

Passport by Herta Mueller

Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse

"Forgotten Dreams" by Stefan Zweig

"The Incomplete Collection" by Stefan Zweig

Of these writers I will try to read as much Joseph Roth as I can, more Stefan Zweig and Robert Walser plus the remaining work by Gregor Von Rezzori in kindle I have not read.

I again thank Caroline and Lizzy for hosting this inspiring event and I hope they do it again next year and I hope to once again participate.



  

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Thank you so much for your participation and your enthusisams.
I'm amazed by your contributions and very glad you enjoyed many of the authors and books.
I'm also happy to see that you love some of my favourite writers, namely Roth, Walser and Zweig.
Thanks for making this event such a success.
I've still got some of your reviews to read.

Lizzy Siddal said...

And I second everything that Caroline said. t was an absolute delight to have you on board and thank you for your incredible contributions and introducing me to Miette's bedtime story podcasts.