Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Friday, January 31, 2014

January 2014. Month End Reading Life Review

January was a good month reading month and a decent one for The Reading Life.

I had 96,804 page views, am up to 3164 Twitter followers and 804 Google Connect Followers.
The top countries of residents for visitors are

1.  The Philippines (first time at top of list)
2.  USA
3.  India
4.  Germany
5.  UK

The top city of residence is Manila.  The most viewed this month and for all time are posts on pre-1970 short stories of the Philippines, followed by posts on R. K. Narayan, then on Katherine Mansfield.  

This month I read for the first time two towering classics of literature by Americans, books I have had on my TBR list for decades.


The Scarlett Letter was way different from what I expected and I loved it from the first sentence.  


The Ambassadors is an amazingly powerful work of art, just read it at a slower than normal for you pace.  


I am rereading In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.  I see it as one of the artistic pinnacles of human achievement.  



I continued reading Yiddish literature and I see it as one of my core interests going forward.

I completed a series of twenty posts of short stories and poems by children from the Anjali House in Siem Reap Cambodia Writing Project directed by Sue Guiney.



I read and greatly enjoyed Sue's novel set in a Cambodian Orphanage. 


I also read and posted on a number of short stories, some by new to me writers and some old favorites.

I read a total of 13 books, five works of Nonfictiion, seven novels and one collection of short stories.

On free books, review requests etc.  I like free books!  I look carefully at every book I am sent.  

I am open to joint ventures and guests posts.  

Feel free to contact me with any comments, suggestions, ideas for projects etc.  






 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations for rereading Proust. I had never been further than Swann's Way, so I restrated last year. I'm about half of Sodome et Gomorrhe.
here is my wrap-up: http://wordsandpeace.com/2014/02/02/2014-january-wrap-up/