Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, July 27, 2014

"The Love of My Life" by T. C. Boyle. (March 6, 2000, in The New Yorker)


I am greatly enjoying A Summer in the Archive by The New Yorker.  ( You can check on it at http://www.newyorker.com/collection/love-stories-from-the-archive/).  So far I have read short stories by Roberto Bolano and George Saunders from the archives.

T. C. Boyle is a very prolific highly admired American novelist and short story writer.  "The Love of My Life" is my first encounter with his work.   It is heart breaking story about teenage love gone horribly wrong.  Parents of teenagers, especially daughters, will feel like locking their kids up after reading this story.  It does read a bit like the plot of an American crime show.  Anyone who was once a teenager in love (lust) will relate to this story.

I do not want to spoil the plot lines.  It kept me totally involved and the prose was a pleasure to read.


Official Web Page


Mel u


2 comments:

Suko said...

The Love of my Life is very well written and plausible--and very sad. Thanks for sharing the link.

Mel, I've been away but am back to blogging again.

Mystica said...

Sounds a very good one though I am not one for the sad books.