Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Earth by Emile Zola (1878, work 15 in The Rougan Macquart Cycle)




The Earth is novel 15 in Emile Zola's grand collection of novels, The Rougon Macquart Cycle.  It focuses on the lives of small farm owners.  There are lots of characters in the novel,at least 100, among them Jean Macquart, son of Antonine Macquart, late of the French Army serving in the  Algerian war and now a farm laborer.   Zola shows us the tremendous love the farmers have for their land.  One of the biggest issues in multi-child families was the division of land upon the death or incapacitation of the parents.  

This being a Zola novel one terrible thing after another happens, from droughts and freezes to crooked financiers.  The Earth gave me a good feel for life on the small French farm.  I cannot really endorse this book as a stand alone work but I do acknowledge it as a central work in the cycle, depicting in Zola's hardcore naturalistic style a very vital part of French society, the farmer.  


Mel u

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Hi Mel, I always appreciate your reviews - detailed and shared opinions. You know, I dont think I've ever read Zola, but I am so close.... you really do encourage me with your love of classics. Join us again in Paris in July!