Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Welcome all Literary Book Blog Hoppers-Feb 3 to Feb 5



To me the Literary Book Blog Hop is a great event. I read and post on mostly classics, short stories, Asian Fiction and what I see as literary novels.     

"Greetings to All Hoppers" Charles-coeditor of The Reading Life
I will follow back all who follow me and return all visits.   Please leave a comment if you decide to follow my blog so I can return the follow.-thanks




 Every week the Literary Book Blog asks that participants answer a question-here is the very interesting  question for this week.

What setting (time or place) from a book or story would you most like to visit? Eudora Welty said that, "Being shown how to locate, to place, any account is what does most toward making us believe it...," so in what location would you most like to hang out?

(Eudora Welty is on my collage!)

This is a very interesting question.    If I could visit anywhere in history and be safe and such I think I would visit Rome around 50 BC.     This period of history fascinates me.    I would step out of the satires of Horace and Juvenal and prepare to be amazed.     Or maybe I could take the place of Richard Savage and walk the dark night streets of London with Samuel Johnson.   

Mel u

17 comments:

Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) said...

I'd love to visit Rome during that time period, too. The culture was so rich, and there were a lot of exciting things happening at the time.

On a different note, I'm currently reading a Eudora Welty biography, and it's fascinating. She was an amazing person. :)

Olivia said...

What a great answer! I would love to have been in both those places.

Hannah said...

Both periods sound so fascinating--especially if you could hang out with the satirists. I've been playing over in my head whether I would really want to go to ancient Greece as a woman. Perhaps if I could change my sex? Or perhaps back to the prairie with Laura Ingalls Wilder?

Shannon said...

Interesting choice. I too have always been fascinated with ancient Rome. I chose Dublin, because I adore the works of James Joyce and other Irish writers.

Suko said...

Like so many others (I think), I'd probably choose the time of Jane Austen's fiction--as long as I was just visiting and could easily return to the present day. I am much too modern to live with so many constraints!

(P.S. I mention your blog in today's post.)

Unknown said...

Rome B. C. could be treacherous, but interesting. I created a list of books set during World War II for my blog hop. Hop on over and take a look. Maybe you'll see one to add to your TBR list.
http://www.literary-magic.com

StephTheBookworm said...

I love the cat.

Susan said...

Ancient Rome would be fascinating to visit, but I think I would want to be a man for the time I was there.

gautami tripathy said...

Nothing like the present times, for me!

Here is my Literary Blog Hop: Setting (time or place) post!

Laurie said...

I see that you would choose 'to live in interesting times', embracing that ancient 'curse'.
:-) I'd like to tag along on your Sam Johnson stroll.
L

@parridhlantern said...

This would be fantastic, but like a lot of these scenarios would depend on status.

Mel u said...

parrish lantern-a very good point-I read most of the responses-everyone including me assumed they would be in upper class position in the past-if we take away this assumption it changes the equation totally

Song said...

Out with Samuel Johnson...that should be interesting! And this sort of reminds me of the Coffee Houses. I think I would have loved to visit them!

Anonymous said...

Yes, well observed. Rome during that time period would be a good place to visit. I remember reading 'Lavinia' by Ursula Le Guin and thinking how wonderful it all sounded.

Another thought, if you were a lower class citizen, what would be your profession? I'd certainly opt for being a scribe!

Song said...

Asterix just popped into my head! I love those comics...maybe it would be great to step INTO a book and experience its world... I'd love to experience Asterix's adventures, especially in relation to Julius Caesar.:D

Trisha said...

Great answer! I would definitely visit with you!

James said...

Rome is one of my favorite places too. I think I would like to visit about a century later and hang out with Marcus Aurelius. I just reread his Meditations and I admire his stoic life (life with the Emperor should be a bit more comfortable than your average Roman Inn).