Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, July 27, 2023

So This is Paris-A 1926 Silent film directed by Ernst Lubitsch - 107 Minutes


 This is part of my Participation in Paris in July 2023 - Hosted by Words and Peace 

Available on YouTube 

I have so far loved the films by Ernst Lubitsch 

Born: January 29, 1892, Berlin, Germany
Died: November 30, 1947, Los Angeles, California, United States

This is my first venture into silent films.  

So this is Paris was shot in Paris, and it captures the city's atmosphere and glamour of the 1920s.



The film tells the story of two couples who live in neighboring apartments in Paris. Dr. Giraud is married to Suzanne, but he is having an affair with Georgette Lalle, a dancer. Suzanne is also having an affair, with Maurice  a neighbour.


The two couples' affairs are kept secret from each other, but they eventually start to unravel. Suzanne finds out about Giraud's affair when she hears on the radio that he and Georgette have won a Charleston dance contest. Maurice finds out about Suzanne's affair when he sees her with her lover.

The film ends with the two couples confronting each other, and with each of them realizing that they have been betrayed.




I found the plot easy to follow. As was normal in silent films people’s emotions are strongly displayed.

I will post on more films  by Ernst Lubitsch in the next few months.

I have two more set in Paris films in que for Paris in July 2023.

I offer my thanks to Emma of Words and Peace for hosting Paris in July 2023


Mel Ulm

2 comments:

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

A silent movie, fun!

Marg said...

I don't know if I have ever watched a silent film!