Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Friday, October 14, 2011

Welcome to All Book Blog Hoppers-Oct 14 to Oct 17


Welcome to The Reading Life
Follow Me and I will Follow you Back

I have been an on and off participant in The Book Blogger Hop hosted by Jennifer of Crazy for books for a long time.   I have found it to be a great place to discover new to me blogs and meet some great book bloggers.    

My blog and my reading focus on  ever evolving genres of literature but for now I am very into South Asian Short Stories, Japanese fiction, classics, Katherine Mansfield, Flannery O'Connor, Elizabeth Bowen and Virginia Woolf.   I also read a wide variety of short stories and review an occasional carefully selected new work.

My blog is the home of Irish Short Story Week centered around St Patrick's Day as well as Indonesian Short Story Week.   I am open to book blog events.  

Every week Jennifer poses an interesting question for us-here is the one for this week:


“What is your favorite spooky book (i.e. mystery/suspense, thriller, ghost story, etc.)?”


Good question as always.   I have recently been posting on a number of classic paranormal writers.   If I had to pick a favorite work  it would be Carmilla by Sheridan le Fanu.   His name might not sound Irish but he is one of Ireland's leading writer of ghost and Gothic stories and Carmilla is the first ever treatment of lesbian vampires in world literature.   


If you decide to follow my blog, please leave a comment so I can follow you back.   If you want you can also leave a link to your own hop page in a comment.





Feature and Follow Friday

I am also and on and off again follower of The Feature and Follow Book Blog Hop.   Here is the question for the week

Q: If you could Weicharacters from a book meet and form an epic storyline with characters from a TV series, which characters would you choose and why?


OK I would have some fun with this and combine the characters of the old Adams Family show with those of True Blood for a hilarious low camp show!






Mel u

14 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

OOh that one sounds vaguely familiar, yet I've never read it though! Good pick!

Here's my Friday Hops

Have a GREAT weekend!

Old Follower :)

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I have not heard of this book, but I'll look it up! My Readathon pile is brimming with spooky books/graphic novels.

Old follower

Obsession with Books said...

Hi & Happy Friday!

Hopping through - have a great weekend..

My FF - http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Kristan said...

I don't have HBO so I haven't been able to watch TrueBlood but have heard nothing but great things about it. I HAVE watched The Adams family and could already tell you that seeing the two together would be great fun!

New Follower!
Kristan
My Follow Friday
P.S. I'm also holding my first giveaway here

Chris said...

Wow, I have to read Carmilla.

new follower

Jez said...

I haven't watch the Adams Family but anything that goes with TB will be awesome and sometimes hilarious.

Have a great weekend!

http://jezsbookcase.blogspot.com

Anne said...

Carmilla sounds interesting. Have a great weekend!

Sidne said...

Now thats a genre I have not read, spooky too. thats spooky. I will look it up.
have a nice weekend. wait, did you review camillia on your blog?
http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

Bookingly Yours said...

True Blood and Adams Family thats funny.

New follower and happy friday! :)

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. Adams Family and True Blood would be hilarious!
My Hop

Anonymous said...

Just hopping by, happy Friday.

Book of Secrets said...

I was not familiar with CARMILLA, but after looking it up, it sounds like a story I would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

MaryAnn said...

love the choices!
Happy Friday, new follower!
MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter

Anja K. said...

Sheridan le Fanu sounds like an interesting writer, I'll have to check out Carmilla. Great choice!